For the times when you’re wondering how to make your baby sleep, we picked several tips that actually work.
Even if your baby has a good routine, sometimes she just wouldn’t fall asleep. The reasons for that could be feeling of discomfort (too hot or too cold, soiled diaper, or scratchy clothes), teething, colics, or if the baby is too excited to sleep. Here are some ideas to try for the times you’re starting to feel desperate:
- Take your baby out for a walk. Strollers that make baby lie down are the best for this purpose. Fresh air always does wonders to babies.
- If it’s raining, or it is easier for you, take your baby for a drive. Pick the most scenic drive and enjoy it yourself.
- Take your baby for a walk. You can put her in a sling – and also run some errands that way.
- Try gently blowing air on your baby’s forehead. It often has an inexplicable calming effect on babies, especially crying ones.
- Cuddle with your baby until she falls asleep and then transfer her to her crib.
In general, help your baby learn to fall asleep on her own. For that, put the baby in her crib once she is sleepy but still awake. You can also give her a security object each time she is in her crib that will signal nap time. Step out of the room not to distract the baby when she’s trying to fall asleep and keep an eye on her with a baby monitor.
If you learn how to make your baby sleep through the night, it will also help your child to have a sleeping routine and make napping easier on you.